Condemnation, guilt or shame can cause us to try and prove our worth to the Lord which can often promote a sense of being driven or compelled to live up to a standard God has not set for us. It is a miserable place to be, and not God’s choice for his children. Only by applying His work on the cross will we come out of the condemnation, guilt and shame and into His marvelous light where we can be led by His wonderful Spirit.
So what does being led by the Spirit of God look like?
- People who are led by the Spirit of God will be led into His Truth, which results in freedom. This freedom is full of life and liberty. Walking in this freedom brings security, not tormenting fear. John 8:32 Lead me by your truth and teach me, for you are the God who saves me. Psalm 25.5 And you will know the truth and the truth will set you free. John 8:32
2. The Spirit leads us besides still waters where our soul is restored. He leads me besides still waters; he restores my soul. Psalm 23:2,3 When was the last time you followed Him into stillness? A tattered soul is not a healthy soul. Take time to ask Him for His restoration. Follow Him to those places of healing. Do no be afraid of them.
3, The Spirit leads us in the paths which will glorify the Lord and causes us to walk uprightly and righteously. He leads me in paths of righteousness for his name’s sake. Psalm 23:3. It isn’t about us, but we are called to live them for “his name’s sake”. He leads us away from selfishness and sin.
4. The Spirit does not leads us into temptation. For the honor of your name, lead me out of this danger. Psalm 31:3 And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from the evil one. Matthew 6:13
5. We are led by His hand no matter where we may be. Again, we follow Him with the secure knowledge that He knows what the things that are on the path we encounter. If I take the wings of the dawn. If I dwell in the remotest part of the sea. Even there Your hand will lead me, and Your right hand will lay hold of me. Psalm 139;10 Even if we go astray, He will rescue us.
6. His Spirit leads us in safety and confidence if we keep following Him. But God led his people out like sheep, and he guide them like a flock through the desert. He led them to safety so they had nothing to fear. Psalm 78:53 Some people had wandered in the desert lands. They found no city in which to live. They were hungry and thirsty, and they were discouraged. In their misery they cried out to the Lord, and he saved them from their troubles. He led them on a straight road to a city where they could live. Psalm 107:4-7
7. His Spirit will lead us to change our ways when they are not His ways. Or do you show contempt for the riches of his kindness, tolerance and patience, not realizing that God’s kindness leads you toward repentance? Romans 2:4
8. His Spirit will lead us to pick up our cross daily. Then He said to them all, “if anyone desires to come after Me, let him deny himself and take up his cross daily, and follow Me.” Luke 923 Remember it isn’t all about us, but about Him!
We must prepare our mind for action against this other counterfeit spirit who would seek to drives to attempt to do God’s will by our own strength and for impure or mixed motives. God’s Spirit has a plan and purpose for each of us in helping establish His Kingdom. He desires to use us in such a way the He is glorified. It is not that we will not be “busy about our Father’s business”, it is that his Spirit is operating within us, allowing us to rest in our busyness, to trust in His time table and to enjoy the journey along the way.
One last thought. Unfortunately, driven people, especially leaders have a tendency to drive others. It is most essential that we are honest with ourselves as well as Him if we have been influenced by this driving spirit.
Father, I ask that you impart to us the ability, by your grace and Spirit to help us discern the difference between being led and being driven. Lead them besides the still waters, restore our souls so that we can begin again following your leadership to accomplish your plan and purpose.. This is a needed lesson. Please help us be aware when the enemy is lying to us about these things, that we may turn a deaf hear to Him and listen only to your voice, We trust you, my Father.